The idea is that you have a mercurial repository with evolve extension activated. In this repository, draft changesets will be considered as work in progress that may require to be reviewed before being integrated in the main code history.
You'll have to have this repository modeled as a CubicWeb entity using vcsfile's Repository entity type.
You must select the option "import revision content" of the Repository otherwise you won't see any patch, and consequently won't have any review process.
A background process will then import the repository content and will:
- create a Patch entity for any new draft changeset,
- update an existing Patch when a draft changeset is updated,
- properly manage chagesets that are folded, split or pruned,
- if using the trackervcs cube and if the Repository is related to a Project, it will also look for patterns (regular expressions) in the commit message to link the Patch to a Ticket (see the tracker cube for more details on tickets and trackervcs for more details on Repository and Project integration),
- set the Patch as applied when the phase of the changeset is moved from draft to public,
A Patch entity can have the following workflow states:
- in progress: the patch is in progress, no code review has been asked by the author of the changeset, or a reviewer has asked for changes
- pending review: someone (usually the author of the changeset) asked for review,
- reviewed: someone (usually the designated reviewer) accepted the patch as ready for integration
- applied: the changeset linked with the Patch is public; usually, it is the responsibility of the integrator of the project to 'integrate' changesets (somehow the equivalent of merging a pull request) by changing their phase to public
- rejected: the changeset has been pruned,
- folded: the changeset has been folded with another changeset,
- outdated: the changeset has been obsoleted (i.e. replaced by a new version of the changeset), but the new version of the changeset is not (yet) available; if it (later) becomes available, the Patch will the be in the in progress state.
When a Patch is created in response to a new draft changeset being imported by cubicweb, it will by default remain in the in progress workflow state. This behavior can be modified as a user preference (the vcreview.autoreview preference), so any new Patch entity is directly in the pending-review state. The ownership of the Patch is based on the mercurial changeset's author metadata (which is normally something like Firstname Lastname <user@somewehere>). The user preference used to select the workflow state of a newly created Patch is the one matching the email address of the author of the changeset.