CubicWeb roadmap meeting on September 4th, 2014
The Logilab team holds a roadmap meeting every two months to plan its CubicWeb development effort. The previous roadmap meeting was in July 2014.
Here is the report about the September 4th, 2014 meeting. Christophe de Vienne (Unlish) and Dimitri Papadopoulos (CEA) joined us to express their concerns and discuss the future of CubicWeb.
This version is stable but old and maintainance will continue only as long as some customers will be willing to pay for it (current is 3.17.16 with 3.17.17 in development).
This version is under development. It will try to reduce as much as possible the stock of patches in the state "reviewed", "awaiting review" and "in progress". If you have had something in the works that has not been accepted yet, please ready it for 3.20 and get it merged.
It should still include the work done for CWEP-002 (computed attributes and relations).
For details read list of tickets for CubicWeb 3.20.0.
Removal of the dbapi, merging of Connection and ClientConnection, CWEP-003 (adding a FROM clause to RQL).
When the work done for Pyramid will have been tested, it will become the default runner and a lot of things will be dropped: twisted, dead code, ui and core code that would be better cast into cubes, etc.
This version could happen early in 2015.
Cubes published over the past two months
- cubicweb-brainomics (0.11.2 and 0.11.3)
- cubicweb-clinipath (0.2.0)
- cubicweb-collaboration (1.0.0)
- cubicweb-container (2.6.0)
- cubicweb-dataio (0.5.1 and 0.6.0)
- cubicweb-inlinedit (1.2.0)
- cubicweb-leaflet (0.2.0)
- cubicweb-localperms (0.3.0)
- cubicweb-mandrill (0.3.1)
- cubicweb-mediaplayer (0.1.3)
- cubicweb-medicalexp (0.12.1 and 0.12.2)
- cubicweb-nazcaui (0.3.0)
- cubicweb-oauth (0.3.1)
- cubicweb-processing (0.6.1)
- cubicweb-rememberme (0.3.0)
- cubicweb-signedrequest (0.1.2)
- cubicweb-subprocess (0.1.0, 0.1.1 and 0.1.2)
- cubicweb-trackervcs (1.1.5)
- cubicweb-transactionlog (0.1.0)
- cubicweb-vcreview (1.3.1)
- cubicweb-vcsfile (1.16.0)
- cubicweb-vcwiki (0.2.0)
- cubicweb-vtimeline (0.5.0)
- cubicweb-wireit (0.4.2)
- cubicweb-worker (3.0.1 and 3.0.2)
New cubes and libraries
- cubicweb-searchui: improvements of the search UX
- cubicweb-relationwidget: A general purpose relation edition widget
- cubicweb-subprocess: manage and monitor subprocesses
- cubicweb-transactionlog: collect entities and relations modifications happening in transactions
- cwclientlib: a simple library to write client code that access CW via HTTP + rqlcontroller or signedrequest
- rqlquery: experimental ORM query object inspired by SQLAlchemy
Here is the status of open CubicWeb Evolution Proposals:
CWEP-0002 full-featured implementation, to be merged in 3.20
CWEP-0003 patches sent to the review. . Champion will be adim.
Work in progress
Christophe will try to present at PyConFR the work he did on getting CubicWeb to work with Pyramid.
Pip-friendly source layout
Logilab and Christophe will try to make CubicWeb more pip/virtualenv-friendly. This may involve changing the source layout to include a sub-directory, but the impact on existing devs is expected to be too much and could be delayed to CubicWeb 4.0.
Christophe has made good progress on getting CubicWeb to work with Pyramid and he intends to put it into production real soon now. There is a Pyramid extension named pyramid_cubicweb and a CubicWeb cube named cubicweb-pyramid. Both work with CubicWeb 3.19. Christophe demonstrated using the debug toolbar, authenticating users with Authomatic and starting multiple workers with uWSGI.
Early adopters are now invited to jump in and help harden the code!
Logilab's next roadmap meeting will be held at the beginning of november 2014 and Christophe and Dimitri were invited.