Aim : do the migration for N cubicweb instances hosted on a server to another with no downtime.
Prerequisites : have an explicit definition of the database host (not default or localhost). In our case, the database is hosted on another host. You are not migrating your pyro server. You are not using multisource (more documentation on that soon).
on new machine : install your environment (pseudocode)
apt-get install cubicweb cubicweb-applications apache2
on old machine : copy your cubicweb and apache configuration to the new machine
scp /etc/cubicweb.d/ newmachine:/etc/cubicweb.d/ scp /etc/apache2/sites-available/ newmachine:/etc/apache2/sites-available/
on new machine : give new ids to pyro registration so the new instances can register
cd /etc/cubicweb.d/ ; sed -i.bck 's/^pyro-instance-id=.*$/\02/' */all-in-one.conf
on new machine : start your instances
on new machine : enable sites and modules for apache and start it, test it using by modifying your /etc/host file.
change dns entry from your oldmachine to newmachine
shutdown your old machine (if it doesn't host other services or your database)
Possible enhancements : use right from the start a pound server behind your apache, that way you can add backends and smoothily migrate by shuting down backends that pound will take into account.
- cubicweb #961831 migration failure when defining form fields
- cubicweb #1265094 cubicweb-ctl upgrade does not update modification_date in CWProperty
- cubicweb #1113844 Migration script function to reindex a given entity
- cubicweb #473794 when an entity type is renamed, physical db index should be renamed as well
- cubicweb #1337615 warn the user when remove_cube is asked whereas an instance is already running